Most borrowers do not realize that they can consolidate their federal loans for free, and unethical debt relief agencies take have taken full advantage of this fact.
They’ve been charging borrowers expensive closing costs + monthly fees, all while claiming that consolidating federal student loans is something that’s too difficult to attempt alone, and can only be done through their agency.
Well, enough of that. Read on to see just how easy it is to consolidate your federal student loans (for free!):
Federal Student Loan Consolidation Instructions
1) Make sure you have your Student Aid (FAFSA) pin number. If you don’t know it, go to www.pin.ed.gov and click on “Request a duplicate pin” in the left hand column.
2) Go to www.studentloans.gov and click “Sign In” at the top left.
3) Once signed in, scroll down on the left hand column, and look for the “Repayment” tab. Directly underneath it is a link that says
4) Click that link, and click “Start Application” — and you are on your way!
Note: It auto-fills your student loans for you automatically. No need to look up loan balances and such.
A Few More Tips
- 80% of the application is simply your personal information: e.g. address, dob, ssn, driver’s license number etc.
- Just make sure you have 2 references handy. You’ll need each one’s name, address, phone, and email. (The references can be family, they just can’t live with you.)
- If there are questions you don’t understand, just can just call Direct Loans at 1-800-557-7392. They will help you for free as much as you need!
Please help me spread the word: federal student loan consolidation is a FREE right that you have as a borrower. There is no need to give your money away to an unethical debt relief agency to do it for you (unless you really want to).
If you need further support deciding whether federal student loan consolidation is the best step for you, please click here to schedule a free consultation with me. Let’s make sure your repayment experience is the best it can be!